Friday, October 26, 2012

"You ruined my HIGH" - sure did and I will do it again


Oh tonight…  we get on shift and we get to post, and sit for about an hour (super rare).  We get a call to a seizure. Which are interesting but in most cases we get on scene and see a patient that is postictal or some type of narc seeker faking their way to a medicated high.  We roll in with fire and walk to the back room where the patient ways laying and there he is arched back mouth open, and every muscle in his body tensed including his diaphragm (means he was not breathing).  I am ecstatic! Its go time J  we go I go to the bed side to open the air way, fire is getting me the BVM and OPA.  We get control of the airway and he begins to breathe on his own.  We begin looking for an IV site, looking down we see track marks, an infected AC and horizontal cuts all along his arms (a cutter).  His veins were shot, we could not get anything.  He began seizing again and stopped breathing, so we gave versed nasaly .  He stopped about 2 min later and appeared to be relaxed, so relaxed in fact that he was no longer seizing and no longer breathing (which is always good).  Check for a pulse, still strong.  We bag him, and then get him to the floor.  Ready the tube to intubate him, (he took the OPA), inserted the laryngoscope and just as I got to the vocal cords and starting to insert the tube here came one gag, then another, then I pulled the scope (he proved to me he could keep his airway).  Then came the vomit x3.  It gets me every time it is not the actually vomiting part it is when I look at what’s in it, this time there was onions in stuff… Barff (I wiped the barf with his girlfriends shirt that was on the ground ha! don’t tell anyoneJ).  Then the girlfriend pips in and spills the beans.  He is a methadone patient who has been drinking since 9am (mind you I am on nightshift), took the methadone, with some xanax, and that is all she knew of. She then tells us he has seizers when he overdoses.   As I finishing wiping the vomit from his face (with his girlfriend’s shirt) I see a beautiful EJ.  He then begins to seize again and stops breathing.   Fire handed me an 18g needle then I stuck the needle in his neck.  “Nailed it” I actually said this time, where I got a few chuckles from fire.  Then pushed 5 of valium, he stopped seizing where we then carried him down the stairs to the cot, then to the ambulance (I hate apartments).  There we managed to get him to tell us what he took, it was the same as given plus hydrocodone.  This moron was on everything.  We then pushed .5 Narcan to reverse the methadone and codone, there now he was just gorked on xanax and drunk out of his mind.  He woke up and literally screamed in my face I yelled at him sit back and shut up.  He then yelled, “YOU RUINED MY HI” I yelled back to a gorked out pissed, OD’ed, cutter, “you were not breathing and were going to die, you are welcome.”  I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment