Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Trauma - Plug the hole and burn Rubber


On Sunday afternoon the last of my long work week we hear the tones go out for a near by (unknown) call.  It was not issued to us because we were out of service to fuel the truck, and if we were to transport the patient if would put us over hours.  I remember being excited to go home and to hit the sack.  Man i was beat.  The basic who i had just met that morning says "lets take it" both jason (my medic) and i were like, naaa. its time to go home. The basic Samantha picks up the mike says "299 to HQ" - "HQ go ahead" where she says we were willing to take that call.  Then it went out BOOM.  Gun shot wound to the Head! "No FREAKEN WAY" we were so stoked.  I had to remind myself of the basics that we normally native for me to do.... I had to remember how to freaken breath :)  Then as approached the scene it all came together   Gloves on and 3 more pairs in my pocket, Lets get bloody.  Walk in the room sure enough there is the patient, Dead as dead could be with brains all over the floor and against white cabinets.  We sure hoped i did not want to start working this guy cus the prognosis was not looking good.  Hooked up the 4 lead, his heart trying to beat at 150 a minute but had no pulse.  I was go time, placed hands together one over the other and started slamming on his chest.  Felt each rib break, switched place, IO in front shin, epi, advanced airway, back boarded then dragged out to the truck.  Flying code to the hospital with blood still pouring from the gaping wound on right of his head.   I remember joking with the cruw in the back of the truck,  "so gentlemen h's and t's (reasons why his heart is not working) hypovolemia? hypoxia? H+ (overdose)? Hypothermia? Tension phumo? oh i know a gaping hole in his head!!"  

But man - what a awesome call, in retrospect it was sad that we worked him, it was obvious that he wanted to die, gunshots to the head do not go well with crying for help, he really wanted to end it all.  The sad part about it though was that we attempted to save him while all of us knew he could not make it, we cannot live without our brain and the majority of his was gone (p.s. it was gray matter and white).  It was a great experience for me though.  I am glad that i am able to perform well in those situations.

The result of the day. Man I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment